Singing: Have you gotten a tape yet??
Prayer: Have a family prayer, thanking God for each member
Scripture: Philippians 2:4
- Start with a fun activity that all the children will enjoy. Be prepared ahead of time by pulling out some of dad’s and mom’s old clothes. Allow the boys to dress up in their dad’s clothes and the girls to dress up in mom’s clothes. (If you’re a single parent, solicit fill ins to help you, or join another family who’s doing this family devo). Not only do you want the children to wear their mom or dad’s clothes, but you need to take on the identity of your children (wear their ball caps, put your hair in pigtails, etc.)
- Play a game of “What If”. Pretend that the children are now the parents and vice versa. Create different situations by asking “What If” questions. For example: “What if I was being mean to my sister and not sharing? What would you do? (It would be good for the adult to act out not sharing so that the children can see how it looks). Allow the children to say what they would do as a parent to correct the problem. Take the time to have properly thought out the questions that will be appropriate for your family according to the current needs. (Other topics might be whining, disobedience, arguing, disrespect, moodiness, etc.)
- Learn the memory verse together, Philippians 2:4 and discuss it light of this devo.
- Be sure to have your camera, video ready. A picture of this evening will your family’s hearts 20 years from now.
- Close with a prayer, a fun snack and a game.